Last month, I painted two poems back-to-back that, upon further reflection, didn’t seem to want their accompanying verses. My initial swing at “Truth or Consequences,” which I took earlier tonight, looked really neat…but it was FAR too busy. Words need room to breathe.
With the paint still wet, I washed away 90% of the work, leaving a faint whisper of the original china blue / banana base later. I gave the canvasboard an acrylic ink bath: 4 colors on left side, 4 on the right.
The vibrant blue sweeping through the center and moving left is from a random watercolor tube I picked up at a secondhand craft store, and most of the other brights on the lefthand side are neon acrylic. The opposite side of the canvasboard was filled in with a number of hues from my Miscellaneous Watercolor box,
I initially regretted not stopping while I was ahead; I’ve always got to do “just a bit more,” and I often make one decision too many. In this case, it worked to my advantage. Washing away most of what I’d made allowed something I like better (and that’s a more appropriate fit for the poem) to surface.
There’s still too much activity to do the lettering, so after this dries, I’ll have to figure out how add a “muting layer” without losing the things I like…
Materials used: Canvasboard, acrylic paints, watercolors, gel gloss, acrylic ink, clear gesso.