This is the second microfiction piece in three months that’s revolved around outer space (though this time from a completely different POV). Must be on my mind lately. Though I knew I’d be starting with black, deep blues, and purples, I wanted the consistency light, not rich—so I started with basic watercolors.
A decent beginning, but not the thin, sorta ethereal veneer I’d hoped for, and definitely not in the middle.
I used acrylic and gouache paints to patch / thicken up weak areas, and then painted the “heart” of the shooting star with liquid acrylics. Due to the speed at which the meteor is traveling, I assumed it’d have a great deal of activity swarming around it. Metallic paint and distress stain formed a “cluster” of rock and debris around the “heart,” while iridescent paint created subtle shiny light variations around the object.
Also, since we’re talking about a flying rock, I broke out some of the “special effect” mediums: course texture, modeling paste, etc. I couldn’t apply these too liberally, because—as you might imagine—trying to ink over that stuff is not a good time. But I did use them in areas where I thought I wouldn’t be lettering.
Next up: adding the text!
Materials used: Canvasboard, watercolors, acrylic paint, liquid acrylics, metallic paint, iridescent pant, distress stain, various texture mediums.