I’ve been spending significantly more time Out In The World lately, and I often take my creative projects with me. I’ve locked into the habit of writing longhand (something I’ve not attempted in decades), then typing pieces up later and working off the printed copy for the painted companion piece.
Last night, I decided to skip that step and transpose directly from my notebook. Things were going well—I’d crafted the letters in exactly the way I’d wanted. But I thought I remembered the sentence I’d just written slightly differently.
It turned out that I’d written two different versions of that sentence, the second was better, and I’d forgotten to cross the first one out. I use a variety of different instruments when inking, but that particular section was done with gel pens. And maybe I COULD have covered the mistake with another coat of paint, but I’d applied a coat of gesso beforehand. My options were limited.
First, i tried saturating the affected area with acrylic ink, but that’s too thin a medium to do what I’d hoped. The letter-fossils were definitely still visible, and it was not the most attractive painting I’ve seen.
All right. New plan:
Since I’d used the Fantasy Moon paint for Attempt 1, I thought that I could try layering with some Fantasy Prisme on Attempt 2. When that dried, I had something completely different:
As a painting, I like it quite a bit. But realistically, there’s no way I’m going to be able to write the story on top of this. It’s WAY too busy.
After lunch, I start from scratch and we *make something new*.