An impromptu portrait! The original plan was to wash this oversized canvas in our dude’s primary colors, providing the poem with a warm bed of oranges and tans and yellows. But as is often the case, the painting had other ideas.
I just realized that for some reason, the hat brim wandered off into the wilderness; I’ll fix that tomorrow. You can see in the photo below that it WAS intact earlier!
The base is a mixture of burnt sienna, burnt umber, yellow-orange, and pyrrole red inks. After that, we’ve got pink acrylic blending paint for the nose, titanium white acrylic for the scarf, and some enthusiastic paint-pen stabbing for the polka dots.
I’d painted the facial features, the hat, and the clothing, but something didn’t look quite right. A second later, I realized that I’d created an entirely clean-shaven bear! Luckily, I had just enough burnt sienna watercolor paint left to remedy that, so I used my sponge-on-a-stick to build fur-like texture.
After the initial coats dried, my paint pens resurfaced. I added the tongue, filled the nose in a bit, and detailed the eyes.
Next step: I figure out how I’m gonna write a poem on this canvas without the words getting in the way!