For November’s micofiction piece (which is by request), we’re back to the water! Since I’ve reordered acrylic ink, but it hasn’t yet arrived, I figured I would try coating the canvasboard with watercolor ink instead. A coat that would hold the color, but also be subtle enough so I could easily rest words on top of it.
I started with a blue ink base, threw in a little green and violet, and added some yellow at the top (for the sun’s rays, which play a role in this story). It looked great.
Unfortunately, I then decided to add a *tiny bit* of sepia ink, which turned out to be not so tiny. I washed the board off and reapplied the ink several times, hoping to get back to the tones I originally had…but when the board was dry, I discovered that it didn’t really look like much of anything at all.
So I did the process all over, but this time used watercolor paint. It’s deeper and heavier than the ink, but still more subtle than acrylic would’ve been. I also added some iridescent paint for accents, which I think works well to simulate water.
Next step: Lettering!
Materials used: Canvasboard, watercolor ink, watercolor paint, iridescent paint.